When someone dies, you may be required to apply for a ‘Grant of Probate (if they have a Will) or a Grant of Administration (if they die intestate – without a Will). This gives you the legal right to deal with the person’s property, money and possessions (their Estate).
What Is The Process?
- Check if there is a Will.
- Apply to get a ‘Grant of Representation’. This gives you the legal right to access things like the persons bank account. This is not always required depending on what is in the Estate.
- Complete a Tax Return and pay Inheritance Tax if applicable, this will be dependent on the size of the estate.
- Collect in the assets e.g. money from the sale of the person’s property.
- Pay any debts e.g. unpaid utility bills.
- Distribute the estate to the beneficiaries in accordance with the wishes in the Will or subject to the Intestacy Rules.
The above can be a time-consuming process and all of this at a time of upset and worry so we are here to help you and can act of your behalf to relieve the burden.
Contact our Probate Lawyers & Solicitors, Alderley Edge, Cheshire
Call us now on 01625 460 281 for a no-obligation consultation from one of our expert lawyers. Alternatively, you can complete our online enquiry form